The Kansas Reads to Preschoolers committee is pleased to announce that the 2014 title is Is Everyone Ready for Fun? by Jan Thomas. This humorous title will appeal to babies and toddlers, as well as the traditional 3- to 5-year-old preschoolers. Is Everyone Ready for Fun? has simple text and bold illustrations that feature three cows who jump, dance and wiggle their way to fun on Chicken’s sofa—to Chicken’s growing frustration.
The title is published by Scholastic and the company is offering a great discount–$2.99 each for paperback copies that will be given to children. Unfortunately, the title is currently not available in Spanish or bilingual versions.
Ordering information and the event website will be available soon.
The official 2014 Kansas Reads to Preschoolers week is November 16-22. This year, the committee encourages participation throughout the month of November, so please keep track of the number of children who hear the book during the entire month. Committee members made this change in recognition of the busy time of year, and of the impact weather might have on some scheduled events.
The 2014 committee members are:
- Jennifer Adams, Manhattan Public Library
- Barb Bahm, Kansas Association of School Librarians, Tonganoxie School District
- Tammie Benham, Save the Children
- Patty Collins, Central Kansas Library System
- Tracey DeShazo, Silver Lake Public Library
- Anne Harris, Wichita Public Library
- Judy Kleinsorge, Pioneer Memorial Library, Colby
- Donna Knoell, Educational Consultant
- Beth Nichols, Head Start of Shawnee Mission
- Vanessa North, Coffey County Library
- Janet Reynolds, La Cygne Library
- Sam Sulsar, Child Care Aware of Kansas
Kansas Reads to Preschoolers is an annual event that promotes reading to all Kansas children from birth through age five. Through the statewide program, parents, librarians and caregivers are encouraged to read the chosen title during a selected week and month. The program is sponsored by the State Library of Kansas.
For more information about Kansas Reads to Preschoolers, contact Anna Foote, Early Literacy/Lifelong Learning Coordinator for the State Library, email@example.com, 800-432-3919.