EXTENDED SERVICE GRANT
This program returns a portion of the tax funds levied and collected by the System to member public libraries in counties taxed by the System, based on their level of service:
MAXIMUM Extented Service Grant (ESG)
- Core Libraries……………………..$5,500.00
- Community Libraries…………………$3,000.00
- Neighborhood Libraries………………$1,250.00
Non-public libraries, public libraries in counties not taxed by NCKLS (“Contracting Counties”) and System Outlets (public libraries not legally established under Kansas Law) are not eligible for Extended Service Grants.
The purpose of these grants is to assist libraries in meeting the requirement that they make their services and collections available to all residents of the System. ESG recipient libraries that place restrictions on use of those services and collections by NCKLS residents from outside the library’s taxing district will forfeit their Extended Service Grant.
To be eligible for an Extended Service Grant, a library must submit an application, meet standards for hours of service, cataloged collections and number of periodicals set by the System based on Measurements of Quality: Public Library Standards for Kansas, and be eligible for the full amount of state aid.
In addition, a library must comply with all applicable state laws and regulations regarding public libraries, including composition of the library board. Libraries must have their holdings in the Kansas Library Catalog.
In order to receive 100% of the potential Extended Service Grant, a library during the previous year must meet these three criteria:
- A library must be represented by the system board representative or a designated alternate or by a signed proxy ballot at the Annual System meeting. The full Extended Service Grant will be reduced by 3% if this requirement is not met.
- A library must have had one or more staff members attend at least one NCKLS workshop. The full Extended Service Grant will be reduced by 3% if this requirement is not met.
- A library must have had one or more trustees attend at least one NCKLS workshop. The full Extended Service Grant will be reduced by 3% if this requirement is not met.
There may be up to a total of 9% reduction in the Extended Service Grant for a library that does meet the above criteria.
var _gaq = _gaq || ; _gaq.push(['_setAccount', 'UA-21479744-1']); _gaq.push(['_trackPageview']);