EXTENDED SERVICE GRANT
2015 EXTENDED SERVICE GRANTS
Extended Service Grants (ESG) are distributed to legally established public libraries in taxing counties to encourage resource sharing, to provide greater access to a variety of library resources and to eliminate taxing boundaries to service.
ESG funds may be distributed in January of each year. Funds are largely used to help meet standards for collections and materials. Collections include print and non-print materials. Special requests for use of ESG funds may be made by written request.
In 2015, eligible NCKLS libraries may receive ESG based on the 2012 Standards for Kansas Public Libraries for service population in the following amounts:
- Gateway –$1,250
- Linking – $3,000
- Service Center I – $5,500
- Service Center II – $7,000
- Major Service Center I – $7,000
To be eligible for any grant, all public libraries in the NCKLS area, including taxing and non-taxing counties, must meet the following requirements.
The library must be a legally established public library that operates under appropriate statutory regulations including:
- The treasurer of the board is bonded as required by K.S.A 12-1226.
- The board consists of the appropriate number of board members as specified in K.S.A. 12-2222 with terms according to the specifications in K.S.A. 12-2222.
- The library agrees to meet Kansas Administrative Regulation 54.1.8,, to provide library service to any citizen of the territory comprising the system in the same manner that service is open to a local resident.
- The library will comply with the terms of the Kansas Open Records Act and the Kansas Open Meetings Act.
- The library will adhere to Kansas law, bylaws, board governance, open meetings, insurance.
To be eligible for an Extended Service Grant:
- Eligible libraries should submit an NCKLS End-of-Year report (Formerly ESG Application) by March 1.
- Have their holdings in the Kansas Library Catalog or through a Z39.50 compatible Integrated Library System.
A library must have met the following criteria in the previous year:
- A library must be represented by the system board representative, a designated alternate or by a signed proxy ballot at the Annual System meeting.
- A library must have had one or more staff members attend at least one NCKLS workshop.
- A library must have had one or more trustees attend at least one NCKLS workshop.